The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit
environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the
support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the
planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all
people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was
founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's
bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many
of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700
lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications
experts, and others work across the United States and
internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.;
Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and
NRDC is seeking a Senior Contracts Attorney to work with the
Corporate Counsel team. The Senior Contracts Attorney oversees the
NRDC/NRDC Action Fund contracting function within the Corporate
Counsel department. The position can be located in any NRDC office
across the country.
- Draft, review and negotiate institutional contracts for all
programs and departments. Drafting includes the preparation of
custom agreements based on staff input on business terms.
- Advise programs/departments on the interpretation of, and
compliance with, contractual arrangements.
- Advise programs/departments on ancillary issues such as
independent contractor classification, treatment of interns and
- Assist programs/departments with dispute resolution
- Implement, monitor and evaluate the full range of institutional
policies and procedures relating to contracting, and work with
other departments to facilitate the achievement of institutional
objectives as they relate to contracting.
- Develop contract templates and manage their utilization.
- Oversee the management of the institutional contracts software
- Manage outside counsel providing contract review/negotiation
- Develop and implement contract training for staff.
- Supervise Corporate Counsel staffs to the extent they are
involved in the review and negotiation of contracts.
- Other duties as assigned by the Corporate Counsel or the Deputy
- Law degree and 6-8 years of law practice.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, research, and written and oral
- Strong critical thinking and analytical ability, sound
judgment, strategic orientation, and interpersonal maturity.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment with a
workforce distributed across multiple offices, handle multiple
assignments and meet deadlines with strong attention to
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle
- Flexibility and ability to work well independently on multiple
projects with a wide variety of people, at all levels of the
organization and across offices/remote work locations.
- Commitment to NRDCs values and mission.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion,
both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating
and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is
essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental
problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose
identities have been historically under-represented in the
environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do
not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race,
color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital
status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected
by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair
Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified
applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a
supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit
scale and commensurate with skills and experience. The job grade
for this role is In House Counsel-Solves 4 with a salary range
between $140,000 and $150,000. Internal equity considerations and
the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making
a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your
resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like
you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think
would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes,
only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls,
emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where
you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have technical questions or if you are a person with a
disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach
out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422 .
For further information about NRDC, please visit