Senior Character Artist - The Initiative - Xbox Game Studios
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Location: Santa Monica
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Initiative is an early stage first-party game development
studio located in Santa Monica and part of Microsoft's XBOX Game
Studios. Our studio is about craft, creating story, innovating, and
looking ahead to the next big thing.
At the Initiative, we are looking for a Senior Character Artist
who is a collaborative problem solver and wants to dive into
something new to create groundbreaking experiences for our players.
Join us for this once in a career opportunity to help build the
studio, define our culture, and create an environment to attract
We're looking for a passionate, talented, and driven artist, who
enjoys collaborating with others to create realistic characters. In
this role, you will help create an inspirational and memorable cast
of characters. You are versatile, have strong development and
production-sense, and can communicate and work with all
You will work directly with the Art Director and Technical Art
Director to develop the artistic style and technical pipelines. You
will work with scan data and sculpting helping to evolve our
character pipeline to deliver best in class characters.
- 5+ years of experience in developing, and shipping AAA
Characters for games or entertainment with market or critical
- High level expertise in Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop or
- Strong 2D and 3D artistic skills, with demonstrated excellence
in anatomy and clothing.
- Demonstrated exceptional visual and technical understanding in
sculpting, 3D modeling, texturing, materials creation, and baking
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong technical knowledge to ensure assets are optimal for
performance and memory.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational
- In-depth knowledge of material/shader development and
experience with Substance Designer/Painter or equivalent
- Technical experience utilizing game engines such as Unity or
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, marital status,
medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability,
political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and
ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of
criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need
assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability
during the application or the recruiting process, please send a
request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of
your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Work closely with the Art Director and leads to establish
artistic style and ensure unified look and consistent quality
- Collaboration with team on from concept through completion on
character development, including conceptual design, model, sculpts,
texture, materials, shaders, hair, cloth, and rig.
- Actively contribute to growth of new start up studio. Lead by
example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive
feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and
contribute to a positive working environment.
- Create unified female and male character models, including edge
loops, UVs, blend shapes, morph targets.
- Provide expertise using latest software techniques, including
Maya, ZBrush, Mudbox, Photoshop or equivalent software.
- Assist with development of rigs and work with team to resolve
any technical or graphic issues.
- Work with team on defining facial setup supporting FACS or
other solutions to support facial animation, VO, and
- Travel to external partners as needed including motion capture
and/or scanning companies.
Keywords: Microsoft Corporation, Santa Monica , Senior Character Artist - The Initiative - Xbox Game Studios, Other , Santa Monica, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!