Lead Frontend Software Engineer
Location: Santa Monica
Posted on: January 4, 2022
Are you self-motivated? Results-driven? Do you want to be
leading a team that's building out a world-class e-commerce
experience? Yes?! Then we want to talk to you. Here at FIGS, we are
building and growing our fledgling e-commerce platform. We are
looking for an exceptional engineer who can help us architect and
prioritize frontend work on our E-Commerce Squad. You will be
working with our Product Management and Backend Teams to help
prioritize new site features, plan and scope out frontend platform
improvements, and generally maintain the health of our frontend
This role is a technical leadership role and does not have direct
report responsibilities, though engineering management is a path
forward from it. You should expect roughly half your time to be
dedicated to individual contribution (i.e, writing code), and the
other half dedicated to helping engineers and product management
with requirements gathering, project planning, and reviewing code.
Our current front-end experience is a server-side rendered Next.js
React site built with Typescript, GraphQL, Styled Components, and
React 16. We use Shopify to manage our shopping cart and checkout
process, and have a mandate to grow on top of and beyond it as we
need to. Our backend services are a mix of Typescript on Node and
Ruby on Rails. You can of course help contribute to some of them as
you need to. While our base stack is evolving there is still plenty
of room for it to grow. Want to introduce react-spring for better
animations? Lets debate. Want to implement a PWA architecture to
help us cache data client-side? Lets explore. Want to re-write our
site's build process in Haskell? No, we have limits.
Does this sound interesting? Keep reading.
What youll do:
- Work as an engineer on projects with a small team or alone as
- Own the frontend platform backlog and work with Product
Management to prioritize the engineering work needed to keep our
platform fast, organized, and a joy to work in
- Partner with our Product, Design, and Backend Engineering teams
- Help plan and prioritize our various projects
- Own the frontend platform backlog and work with engineering
leadership to prioritize work that keeps our platform fast,
organized, and a joy to work in
- Build customer-facing front-end applications and features to
help our customers better use our site
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience or
- 5+ years professionally working on front-end applications.
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- A preference for TDD-style development over YDD (YOLO driven
- Extensive experience with Vanilla---
- A commanding knowledge of HTML, CSS, and building rich user
experiences with them. (e.g., What's the box model?)
- Prior experience with SPA frameworks like React, Vue, Ember, or
- Experience using Node.js in a production environment.
- Experience working with statically-typed languages like
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side
- Awareness of common web security vulnerabilities and how to
- Demonstrated ability to architect scalable and maintainable
Bonus points for:
- Experience with building and maintaining traditional Shopify
sites and experience working on Shopify Apps and Themes.
- Experience setting up CI/CD build processes and pipelines.
- Familiarity with server-side MVC web application frameworks,
like Next.js, Ruby on Rails or Django.
- Familiarity with DevOps technologies like Docker, Vagrant,
Terraform and Kubernetes.
Other must haves:
- Desire to learn: we are not looking for specific experience
with our tech stack-just the willingness and sufficient experience
(with an equivalent stack) to pick it up fast.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Collaboration: we work in small cross-functional teams and as
individual engineers. We are not afraid of challenges and working
together to tackle them.
- Positive attitude: we are self-starters who love to solve
problems with technologies
- A strong work ethic, with integrity and entrepreneurial
Please apply with your cover letter, resume, and examples of
previous work to be considered.
A Little Bit About Us---
The medical apparel industry is antiquated, highly fragmented and,
until FIGS, was driven solely by low-cost providers offering a
limited selection of poor quality products sold through third party
distributors. FIGS is revolutionizing the medical apparel industry
by creating the highest quality medical apparel in the world and by
selling directly to medical professionals through our branded
FIGS' foundation is built on product quality, and we have a
relentless focus on three key areas: fabric, fit and function. We
developed our proprietary, performance-oriented fabric technology
to meet the demands of the medical profession. FIGS' Technical
Collection fabric is wrinkle resistant, moisture-wicking,
lightweight, breathable and offers four-way stretch. Our designs
are tailored, sophisticated and innovative, incorporating features
such as yoga waistbands, smart storage (pockets, zippers, hidden
pockets) and inspirational sayings inside each garment that appeal
to modern healthcare professionals.
By offering a branded and customer-centric online shopping
experience, we are changing how medical professionals buy their
workwear. Through our website, social media, and participation in
medical conferences and events, we have built a strong following
within the medical community and a meaningful connection with our
customers, which allows us to understand their needs and to ensure
that FIGS is continuously improving and innovating.
FIGS' Threads for Threads initiative is central to our mission.
FIGS has donated hundreds of thousands of scrubs to healthcare
providers in need around the world.
Keywords: FIGS, Santa Monica , Lead Frontend Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Santa Monica, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!