Ambulatory Care Pharmacist - Oncology (Temporary, Part Time)
Location: Santa Monica
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Provides ambulatory pharmaceutical care services using approved
protocols in collaboration with other health professional,
including managing patient drug therapy, providing patient
education, and preparing and/or overseeing the preparation and
dispensing of medications. Promotes high quality, evidence-based,
cost-effective pharmaceutical care. Performs these duties in the
clinical areas assigned.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Conducts patient medication history inquiries upon referral
from physicians and other medical personnel.
- Given a diagnosis, synthesize a treatment plan, which may
include drug therapy and lifestyle modifications, and transition
within the continuum of care settings.
- Identifies, resolves, and prevents potential and actual
medication-related problems including: untreated indications,
improper drug selection, subtherapeutic dosage, overdose, failure
to receive medication, adverse drug reactions, drug interactions,
and medication without indication.
- Under protocol, initiates, adjusts, monitors, and recommends
changes in drug therapy based on information obtained through
patient interviews, objective monitoring parameters, review of drug
profiles and the patient medical record.
- Coordinates and interprets laboratory monitoring of drug
therapy, including serum drug levels, electrolytes, and other
approved drug-related laboratory testing.
- Provides patient monitoring for the purpose of evaluating and
optimizing patient outcomes, drug utilization and patient
compliance, detecting and/or minimizing ADRs, eliminating
unnecessary drug use and duplication.
- Provides patient education related to the individuals disease
state, including predictable actions, side effects, reasons for
proper compliance, and any special instruction.
- Assure ongoing performance improvement of the pharmaceutical
care services provided.
- Provides education to providers and staff via presentations,
newsletters, formal utilization reviews, and one-on-one
- Performs drug utilization review, comprehensive medication
review, and/or medication reconciliation.
- Operate pharmacy computer system(s) and other equipment and
- Documents information appropriately in the patients medical
record and other computer systems according to policies and
procedures and regulatory requirements
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Management Partnership
- Performs other duties as required.
- Minimum 1200 hours of experience in the last three years
working under a collaborative drug therapy management protocol
including initiating, adjusting, discontinuing, and refilling
medication in patients with chronic disease states.
- Complete an ASHP accredited PGY-1 clinical pharmacy residency
prior to start date in position where at least 50 percent of the
experience includes the provision of direct patient care services
with interdisciplinary teams.
- A qualified candidate should have at least ONE of the following
credentials or experience: Board certification oncology practice
(BCOP) OR, Have completed PGY2 in oncology practice OR, a candidate
that has completed 1000 hours over last three (3) years in area of
sterile compounding oncology pharmacy with direct clinical protocol
management; on condition of achieving BCOP within three (3) years
of employment OR, a candidate that has successfully completed an
ASHP accredited PGY1 Residency (within three (3) years), with an
oncology pharmacy rotation during the residency year and condition
of achieving BCOP within three (3) years of employment
- Degree in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited (or ACPE candidate
status) school of Pharmacy.
License, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Experience working as part of a multidisciplinary patient care
- Knowledge Required:
- Comprehensive knowledge of current
pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology,
pathologies, disease state management, age appropriate therapy, and
other information as it pertains to medical or pharmaceutical care
- Knowledge of Federal/State laws/regulations regarding delivery
of pharmacy services and the scope of practice of a
- Demonstrated work experience performing aseptic techniques &
preparation of sterile IV products & hazardous agents, as
- Knowledge of sources of current drug information and medical
literature. Skill/Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated ability to extract pertinent information from
patient/other sources for a medical management plan.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and evaluate.
- Effective verbal/written communication skills at appropriate
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- A Doctor Doctorate of Pharmacy, Pharm.D.
- PGY-2 clinical pharmacy specialty residency or fellowship
- Board certification in relevant practice area
- Advanced Practice Pharmacist License
- Start / End times should be variable.
- Temporary position to last approximately 6 months from start
- Oncology requirements
Job Category: Pharmacy
Keywords: Kaiser, Santa Monica , Ambulatory Care Pharmacist - Oncology (Temporary, Part Time), Healthcare , Santa Monica, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...