Director of People & Culture
Company: Sage Hospitality Group
Location: Santa Monica
Posted on: November 19, 2022
The Pierside Hotel, is seeking a Director of People & Culture -to
join our team in serving guests with creativity and passion!
Work Where You Belong! A New Santa Monica stay has come ashore!
Opening in Winter 2022, The Pierside Hotel inspires an easy come,
easy go kind of getaway, where you can travel from bed to beach in
a heartbeat. Venture beyond a surface-level stay and wade a little
deeper into Santa Monica's laid-back way of life, where the views,
vibes, and vibrant culture of our coastal city shines through
inside and out.
As part of Sage Hospitality Group, we passionately strive to be the
best and create excellence in everything we do. We believe in
enriching lives one experience at a time. More than a slogan, we
empower our employees to make positive impacts on the communities
in which we live and work. By providing genuine service we build
relationships with our guests and value for our shareholders, and
we create unforgettable experiences.
We are looking for independent thinkers. Those who harness their
entrepreneurial spirit so that it breaks preconceived notions.
We're not afraid to forge our own path. After all, it's what
industry leaders do. That's why we welcome risk takers and creative
spirits alike. No matter your daily role, Sage recognizes that your
success is about more than the work you do-it's really about who
you are, which is why we invest in your personal and professional
growth. We hope you consider joining us!
The purpose of this role is to identify, ensure alignment and
implement a talent management plan that addresses both the
strategic and operational needs of the business. The People
Resource Director (PRD) leads and manages all aspects of People
Resource (PR) supporting activities for the property while
balancing, supporting and addressing challenges and opportunities.
- The PRD acts as the strategic advisor to the Executive Committee
on all people related matters and reports directly to the General
Manager with direction from the Divisional Director of People
- Plan, develop, coordinate and direct the People Resource
function at the property to retain, develop and motivate associates
in an effective manner in accordance with policies and procedures
and federal, state, and local laws and regulations while limiting
liabilities and promoting a safe, fair, positive work
- Plan and manage the recruitment, interviewing, hiring and
orientation processes to maintain staffing levels with qualified
individuals while complying with SOPs, federal, state and local
laws and regulations.
- Oversee adherence to performance management including
monitoring performance evaluations to make certain they are
completed and submitted on a timely basis. - Facilitate development
and monitoring of associate performance improvement plans.
- Assess needs, plan, implement and coordinate management, hourly
and supervisory training programs including company core training
and brand required training programs to develop quality managers
and associate and limit hotel liability.
- Counsel and train managers on associate relations issues,
resolve associate grievances, conduct management exit interviews
and examine all exit interviews for trends. -
- Implement various associate relations programs to maintain a
pro-associate environment that ultimately limits turnover and
facilitates high associate engagement and limits turnover.
- Formulate budgets for associate relations, associate training
and recruitment advertising as well as wages and benefits for human
resource staff for the budgeted time frame.
- Manage expenses for people resource related areas and execute
financial management when required.
- Supervise People Resource operations in the hotel to develop,
empower, coach and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews,
resolve problems, provide open communication, discipline and
terminate as appropriate.
- Ensure all associate relations activities are administered
consistently and in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the short and long term planning and the daily
operations of the People Resources department. -
- Develops and recommends the hotel's People Resource
- Participates in total management as a member of the Hotel
- Positions the property as the "preferred employer" in the
- Notifies the General Manager and/or Divisional Director of
People Resources of any potential liability and proposes proper
course of action to prevent the hotel from incurring any such
- Survey, recommend, implement and manage an hourly wage program
and administer the management salary program within the corporate
policies and procedures and maintain compliance with federal, state
and local laws and regulations.
- Survey, implement, communicate and administer the benefit
program in compliance with corporate procedures to aid and retain
associates. - Propose enhancements to the proper authority for
approval before implementation.
- Ensure accident/loss prevention and security policies are
- Align safety standards with corporate SOPs and set appropriate
property specific standards.
- Ensure compliance with corporate SOPs and procedures along with
state, federal and local laws and regulations as they pertain to
every facet of people Resources/Associate related
- Ensure compliance with brand standards.
- Ensure proper maintenance of associate records, files and human
resources office systems. - Manage the compilation and analyze
various corporate reports and property reports to provide
management with accurate information and comply with corporate
policies and procedures as well as government laws and
- If applicable ensure complete compliance with all negotiated
union contract terms and reporting requirements.
Four-year college degree or equivalent experience/education
- Four to five years of employment in human resources or related
- Proven successful implementation of people resource
- Union experiences a plus.
- Superior communication skills.
- Manage ideas and decision-making with creativity and
- Proven ability to negotiate, convince, sell and influence
professionals and/or guests.
- Bi-lingual fluency preferred.
- Must be hospitality oriented.
- Must possess ability to work under pressure.
- Strong skill at completing multiple tasks
- Ability to work both strategically and tactically in a
fast-paced high energy environment.
- Excellent hearing required to discern/resolve employee
complaints, issues and participation in meetings for
- Excellent vision required -100% in review preparation of all
documentation -applications, write-ups, reviews.
- Excellent speech communication skills required for
communicating benefits policy, provide testimony training.
- Excellent comprehension and literacy required for review and
preparation of all documentation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Lifting/pushing/pulling/carrying -approximately 5%.
Bending/kneeling -to get files -5% annually.
- Mobility -40% of 10 hour day is spent around the hotel.
Continuous standing -during training and lobby lizard
- No climbing required. Driving -occasionally to attend hearings
and recruitment activities.
95% indoor office
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Eligible to participate in the Company's 401(k) program with
- Health savings and flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life and AD&D insurance
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Paid FMLA leave for up to a period of 12 weeks
- Employee Assistance Program
- Great discounts on Hotels, Restaurants, and much more.
- Eligible to participate in the Employee Referral Bonus Program.
Up to $1,000 per referral.
Keywords: Sage Hospitality Group, Santa Monica , Director of People & Culture, Executive , Santa Monica, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!